As a fitness instructor, my days start early. My industry’s “happy hour” begins at dawn, so I have learned to wake up and become THAT morning person. Yes, it’s peaceful and quiet and filled with possibility– but don’t get me wrong—it’s sometimes very hard to get out of that bed! It is one thing to roll out, pour myself a cup of coffee (a must), strap on my sneakers and headphones, and go for a run. The greater challenge is to equip myself to set the tone for others–set them up for an amazing day and encourage them to become the best version of themselves
No matter how I feel.
SHOP THIS LOOK — New Balance Shoes — Lululemon Shorts — Sports Bra — New Balance Book bag — Tank Top
This whole waking up early thing has been around for a while. My mom was and still is an early riser, so I grew up watching her jump out of bed and get right to it. As a college athlete, I had a daily dose of early workouts — and my body still craves them. Lucky for me, I now have a job that guarantees I don’t have to go without.
So, with all of that said, there are still some days I don’t wake up on the sunny side…pretty sure I’m not alone. On those mornings, I rely on some favorite routines to make sure my mind is open to whatever the “rest of my day” means. The following things listed are not things I get to every morning, but they are on the “feel good” list. They have helped move my days in a more positive direction, and I hope one or more will give you the jump-start you need. The sun always rises! Plan to find your peace and tap into your energy early in the day. Trust me, it can make all the difference.
- Drink Coffee — I know not everyone is a coffee drinker, but drink something to wake up your mind and body. Tea, hot water with lemon, decaf coffee. Something! Let your body know it is time to start the day. (Folgers Classic Roast)
- Get your body moving— For me, it’s getting a workout in, but this isn’t for everyone. If you aren’t up for a vigorous workout, think about stretching, walking the pup, or just walking yourself! Get your blood flowing and turn up the energy.
- Turn on music— Music helps me so much. Lyrics really speak to me, and the best part is I can change what I listen to every morning based on my mood and my feelings— country, hip hop, jazz, rap— just depends on my day and my mood. Name it and roll with it.
- Find a few podcasts you like and dive in— Listen on your way to work or as you are getting ready. Two of my favorites include — RISE Podcast by Rachel Hollis andThe Tim Ferriss Show. Both very interesting and very real.
- Have a quiet moment— Mornings tend to be rushed, but there is something to be said for slowing it down. Maybe it’s meditation or focused deep breathing. Whatever you need to find your peace, reserve five minutes to just sit quietly. For me, this occurs during my first few sips of coffee. I quiet my mind, clear my thoughts, and develop my focus.
There you have it—five ways to jump start your day. Try one and see if it makes a difference. I am always looking for new ideas, so if you have any suggestions please do not hesitate to share. And, as always, thanks for following along in this crazy thing we call life.